Thursday, April 20, 2006

Desperate Sleep calls for Desperate measures

So we planned a fun-loving Saturday night out. A party thrown by people we knew, good beats and lots of familiar faces. We dolled ourselves up and had a yummy Buca dinner. Arriving early was necessary to get home at a decent hour, but 9:30 is always dead. We were in South Phoenix, not the nicest nor safest neighborhood, but we found a well lit spot just down the street and parked for a bit. A well intended comment of "I should have caught a nap" from me ended with "let's just catch one now" from Jer. With doors locked, truck and ac running, we reclined our seats back and caught ourselves a quickie, nap that is.
I awoke two hours later to some chattering going on outside. I peered out to see, what to me, looked like a group of teenagers walking quickly to get to the Ice House. I took a long stretch and blink thinking I had simply dozed off moments before, to read the clock at 11:35. "Jer, if we're going in, we should do it now." His eyes popped open and sat forward. A blank stare peering out into the empty street. I didn't really want to drag my still half-sleeping self into the party, but would have gladly followed Jer in for bit. Perhaps a drink would perk me up. None the less I gladly agreed when he suggested driving home instead.
I let my eyelids droop closed my than a few times before we reached Gilbert and it never occurred to me to ask Jer if he was okay. Grandma was surprised to see us so soon and we ushered her out quickly. I hit the pillow fast and hard and picked right back up on my sleep. We snoozed until morning and laughed at ourselves the next day. "Lame old people" is what I called us. We have just moved on from that era in our lives and need to move on. We're day walkers now, with little people who would gladly get you up at 6am, but you may get lucky with 8. They don't care if you had a late night, too many drinks, danced too hard, or are just plain exhausted. It's day light and time to play. Juice please, then breakfast. Oh and my movie, you forgot to take me pee and change the little ones' diaper...........

No comments: