Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Hostess with the Mostess

I have to admit that I was a bit nervous about hosting Thanksgiving at our home this year. It being my first year to hostess and making the decision to invite both mine and Jer's families was almost too much.
I planned for weeks and wrote list after list. I made phone calls and follow-up phone calls, doing my best to get RSVPs and keep everyone on point. It was potluck style so I wanted to be sure there would be enough to feed everyone and have a variety that complimented each other. As the day approached I had my day planned out and a new outfit and apron even. I cleaned the whole house and kitchen and shopped days in advance to prepare.
Morning of Jer was kind enough to take T-man over to the Peterson's to romp on a giant, inflatable, obstacle course. I managed to get my shower in with Zander in a fairly good mood. Just as I was getting out, Shell and Aaron call, they are on their way. WTF! It was 12 and I told her 2! But since I rarely get her company, I won't hold it against her. No make-up, hair still wet and in my bathrobe. Shell knocks and I pass Zander off to her. (he had lost composure) Since she left Aaron in the car while the kids finished napping, she accompanied me to my room while I did something with my hair. Figuring I'd have plenty of time to get make-up on after they left and before I needed to dive into cooking, I put that off. Jer returned with an exhausted, dirty Tristan.
The next 4 hours were a blur, but these I know for fact:
1. Dinner was only 45 minutes late, perfectly timed with my mother-in-law's arrival. =)
2. I never did put my apron, bought especially for the day, and still can't find it.
3. For the most part everyone enjoyed themselves and we didn't screw it up. Jer played a pretty good host, although I hear he forgot many introductions. He did manage to keep everyone with a drink of some sort.
4. I never did put on any make-up.

So the day was a success. I can say I am proud. The boys were sweet and entertaining. They played and laughed with everyone. By evening we cleared the house and were getting our little turkeys to sleep. Perhaps I will not dread my next turn in the rotation, say in 3-5 years.

No comments: